California State Council
2020-2021 Chapter Level Free Throw Competition Orange Chapter Date: Saturday February 27, 2021
The Knights of Columbus Free Throw competition provides a fun athletic outlet for young people ages 9 to 14 and encourages the values of sportsmanship and healthy competition. Because of Covid-19 restrictions, the State Council has made adjustments as to how the free throw competition will be run this year. Council level competition will be done in early February, chapter level competition will be done in late February and state competition will be done the first week of March. There will be no district competition this year. Please see the instructions below.
Instructions for Remote Chapter Level Free-Throw Competition
- Upon receiving the council level winning score cards in the middle of February the parents or legal custodian of the council winners will be notified.
- Parents / legal custodians will be instructed to locate a basketball court to record their child’s free throw competition attempts in a safe manner, socially distanced from others. The competitions will be done, not in a group setting, and will be recorded.
- The basketball hoop used for the free throws can be in a park, schoolyard or it can be a driveway with a basketball hoop.
- Parent / custodian will be instructed to get as close to the ball size, hoop height and distance specifications as possible. We want the children to participate! Get as close as you can to be uniform and fair but we encourage all children to participate.
- Participants are encouraged to practice beforehand, but to ensure fairness, parents/custodians should video record and submit only ONE official attempt.
- The parent will fill out the scorecard after videoing, attest to the accuracy of the score by signature and submit by email the filled out, verified scorecard and video file to the Chapter free-throw chairman.
- Please name the video file with the following format, council # – dot – child’s last name – dot – child’s first name dot chapter. (example – 12345.Smith.Tommy.chapter)
- Ages 9, 10, 11 (Boys & girls competitions) are recommended to use a women’s regulation-size basketball and shoot from a 12-foot foul line at a 10-foot-high basket.(note: the normal foul line is 15 feet from the basket).
- Ages 12, 13, 14 (girls competitions) are recommended to use a women’s regulation-size basketball and shoot from the regulation foul line 15 feet from a 10-foot-high basket.
- Ages 12, 13, 14 (Boys competitions) are recommended to use a men’s regulation-size basketball and shoot from the regulation foul line 15 feet from a 10-foot-high basket.
- After practice, each contestant receives 25 consecutive free throw attempts from the appropriate age-designated foul line. The attending parent/custodian videos the attempts. The parent/custodian marks an X on the scorecard on attempts where baskets were made and a 0 on baskets missed and then writes the total baskets made in the proper column on the scorecard. The parent/custodian then signs the card. The parent/custodian scans the scorecard and emails it to Chapter chairman along with the properly named video file.