COLUMBIAN AWARD CHANGES FOR THE 2016-2017 FRATERNAL YEAR
Knights of Columbus councils have always responded to the most urgent needs of the Church, particularly through charitable and social outreach. In order to support the evangelization of family life today, each council must be even more fully integrated with our Catholic parishes. As the world’s largest Catholic fraternal and family organization, we have a responsibility to dedicate our time, talent and resources to ensuring that our parishes are beacons of the new evangelization and that our families are supported and strengthened by our activities.
In order to highlight the importance of this new initiative and its impact on our mission, the Supreme Council is announcing changes to the Columbian Award effective immediately. In order to earn the Columbian Award, councils need to meet the following qualifications:
- Submit the Service Program Personnel Report (#365)
• Submit the Annual Survey of Fraternal Activity (#1728). Councils instituted after November 1 do not have to meet this requirement.
• Annually conduct and report at least four (4) programs in each of the six categories of the Surge with Service Program AND at least four (4) of those programs need to be designated as “Domestic Church” programs.
Please visit http://www.kofc.org/en/domestic-church/index.html to review the most up-to-date list of programs and activities.
The following programs currently carry the Domestic Church designation:
- Journey to the Inn • Father’s Day Affirmation of Wedding Vows
• Consecration to the Holy Family • Family Fully Alive Devotional Program
• Holy Family Celebrations (Diocesan-wide) • Food for Families • Keep Christ in Christmas
• Spiritual Formation Groups (Into the Breach) • 5th Sunday Rosary Program
• Family Week Celebrations
Additional Domestic Church activities will be released throughout the fraternal year. For information and resources pertaining to the Building the Domestic Church initiative, councils should visit kofc.org/DomesticChurch. The Columbian Award Application is currently being revised to reflect these changes and should be available shortly. Councils are advised to discard any paper copies of the Columbian Award Application that they may currently have on hand